Thursday, September 25, 2008

Damn It, It's Back

So we had pretty much gotten off the profanity, until tonight when I burned my hand on the oven and said "Damn it", pretty loudly...actually I am impressed that is all I said. Kyle comes running to the kitchen "Mommy, did you say DAMN IT?" followed by "Why did you say DAMN IT?" I explained to him that I burnt my hand and he was immediately more interested in my boo-boo so I let it go...

As we were getting Kyle ready for bed, he followed Brad in to our room, took one look down the hall and realizing I had left his bathroom light on said "DAMN IT, Mommy you left the bathroom light on". He turned it off and then promptly continued following Brad. So, I thought I might take this opportunity as a learning experience about words that are not nice and sometimes mommy's (mostly) and daddy's say things you shouldn't say. It pretty much went like this:

Me: Kyle we need to talk about how sometimes mommy's and daddy's say words that aren't nice and kids shouldn't say.
Kyle: Like DAMN IT?
Me: Yes, like that. And mommy and daddy should try harder not to say words that aren't nice, and you should try hard not say words that are not nice.
Kyle: Like DAMN IT, you shouldn't say not nice words like DAMN IT?
Me: Yes, thats right we should pick something else to say.
Kyle: Like shoot.
Me: Yes, shoot, that is a good one, mommy will say shoot from now on and so can you.
Kyle: Because if we say DAMN IT will people not want to play with us?
Me: Well people might think it is not a nice thing to say.
Kyle: What if people say DAMN IT to us while we are playing...then I will say DAMN IT because they are not nice?
(Keep in mind Brad is behind Kyle...directly in my line of sight...and laughing his head off at this point)
Me (really trying to keep it together and not use the word): Well, we still shouldn't say it even if others say it to us...because it is still not a nice word.
Kyle: Well I will still think it...

That is when I lost it altogether...two steps back...DAMN IT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my God, this was soooo funny, ya gotta love when they increase that vocabulary...Happy censoring! love aunt bobbie

Anonymous said...

I am Laughing my butt off at this story. I am laughing because I know that I too will have to have a similiar conversation, Damn it!

Love it!
Heather