Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Always have orange juice

Just when you think you have it down, you don't.

Kyle and I were sitting on the floor watching Sesame Street and having a really nice time. We were talking about the show and laughing and trying to find Ernie in "Journey to Ernie" when I suggested we might be more comfortable on the couch. As we started to move, I innocently said "Kyle, I am going to get some juice, would you like some?" and he replied "Yes mommy I would". I went into the kitchen and poured two cups of fruit juice. Kyle was not long behind and noticed that I had poured fruit juice and not orange juice. He told me he didn't like fruit juice and wanted orange juice (important note for later: he doesn't really drink orange juice that much and I think I can count on one hand how many times he has asked for it). Well, we didn't have orange juice. Clearly this was not the answer Kyle was looking for...a full on meltdown ensued. He ran to the refrigerator and threw open the door screaming and crying...I tried to explain in my calm voice that I didn't get orange juice at the store and that I would get some that afternoon after I dropped him off for school. Again, not the right answer - oh how I failed him. He ran to the door between the garage and kitchen and opened it and tried to go out (to get his own orange juice?). I had to lock the door and finally just went back into the family room while he flailed about on the kitchen floor about orange juice. I wondered how long this might go on but surprisingly, when the Elmo's world song started to play on the TV all became right with the world again. He joined me on the couch (as if nothing happened) for the rest of Sesame Street and asked if he could have the fruit juice...which he drank...in its entirity and asked for more.

When he got home from school he asked me if I went to Safeway, I told him yes and he opened the refrigerator door. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was checking to see if I bought orange juice.

The orange juice is still unopened, but it is there, providing some level of comfort to my 2 1/2 year old.

No comments: